Today I'm part of the Fancy Pants Leggings Blog Tour. Laura from Crafstorming recently releases her first digital pattern, the Fancy Pants Leggings as part of her new pattern company Titchy Threads. I've been lucky enough to be part of the process since the beginning- so far I've made the short version, the legging version, I created my own swimsuit versions and well today I added on a little to the pattern and made a jumpsuit. You can see all the previous versions I made here if you like.
I and Miss E loves this pattern, it really is comfortable and easy to wear and such a quick sew. This time around I wanted something Miss E could just wear quickly over a bathing suit or a tee that was cute and comfy all at once. Nothing beats a knit jumpsuits for that!
Here are the few things I did to the the Fancy Pant Legging pattern to make into a jumpsuit:
... I used a size 4 ...
1. I added 5 cm to the width of leg- on either side of the pattern. Going from nothing at the mid thigh and straight down. I wanted to give the hem a little bit more of a balloon effect.
2. I doubled the width of the hemmed cuff. It's a little long now, but I want Miss E to grow into it.
3. I created the straps. I cut 4 pieces about 4.5 cm by 60 cm. I fused 2 of the pieces (1 for each strap) to give a little more structure. I made the straps a little longer- so Miss E can grow a little.
4. The front panel consists of the peices 22 cm by 24 cm. I fused the inner piece for more hold. It's a little stiff right now, but I know it will soften once I wash the jumpsuit. I sewed right side to right side around 3 edges, turned the fabric over and ironned. Then I folded over towards the front at 6 cm and folded the corners up- ironned it down and handstitched the fold in place.
5. I pinned the front panel and back straps (on a slight angle) to the legging and the pinned the waistband as well and sewed it in as directed.
6. Added some large snaps to the inside front panel and straps.
*** I'll be stitching the back straps together so they don't fall off her shoulders so much. It's good to try things on sometimes!
The fabric is a very light weight cotton jersey- I think it will be perfect for the hot summers days and a quick stop at the wading pool.
I can't believe this is Laura's 1st pattern- it is really perfectly executed. If you've never sewed knits before, this is the pattern you'll want to start with, it is a quick and easy sew with plenty of explanations and clear photos helping you along the way. There are also lots of great tips on how to sew knits too.
You can't see it from my jumpsuit, but the pattern has a cute insert in the bum area making it lots of fun and a really creative way to add some cute elements on the behind. I think it's what makes this pattern extremely comfortable.
It comes in sizes newborn to 4T. Can't wait for the bigger sizes so I can make Mister M a pair or 2 or 3!!!
It's available for purchase on the Titchy Thread website, however Laura is giving away a copy to one of my lucky readers!!! Yeahhhh!
All you have to do is complete the Rafflecopter and don't forget to leave a comment.
The giveaway closes on Monday and I'll announce the winners Tuesday- GOOD LUCK!!!
Don't forget and check out how everyone else's Fancy Pants Leggings are turning out, this is one serious list of amazing bloggers & sewers...
20th - Abby from Things for Boys
21st - Rachael from Imagine Gnats
22nd - Celina from Petit à Petit and Family
23rd - Jane from Buzzmills
24th - Heather from Feather's Flight
27th - Stacey from Boy, oh Boy, oh Boy
28th - Gail from Probably Actually
29th - Jenny from The Southern Institute
30th - Ros from Sew Delicious
31st - Carla from Small + Friendly