DSC_7947.jpg

When we moved home a couple of months ago my daughters were able to have a small room (3mx 1.85m with a built in cupboard) of their own for the first time. My eldest daughter was delighted but my youngest was anything but, so before we moved I made her all sorts of promises about room decoration in the hope of making her feel happier about being apart from her sister. We looked through Celina's Kiddo... In my room board for inspiration, and as soon as she saw the pink zigzag/mountain design it was clear there could be no deviation from the idea.

I copied the design from one of the pins on the board as closely as possible. I liked the uneven design and thought it would be easier to paint than even ones (bonus!). I did, however, measure a horizontal line across the wall so the the bottom of the points is at the same height all the way along. 

Marking out the design with masking tape before painting (cutting in with a brush and using a roller for the rest)

Marking out the design with masking tape before painting (cutting in with a brush and using a roller for the rest)

The next step (and least fun) was painting the bed. We had bought two matching beds second-hand back when the girls were sharing a room. They were a nice solid design but I had never liked the colour of the varnish, so after sanding off the varnish (which felt like it took forever) I painted it with acid yellow paint (leftover from painting the handrail on the stairs).

cloud cushions

For the cloud cushions I made inners with calico, stuffing them with the contents of some old living room cushions. The covers have an invisible zip inserted along the bottom edge so they can be washed. The white fabric was part of an old stained table cloth, and the blue fabric was from the wearable muslin of a shirt I made myself which turned out to be unwearable.

The quilt had been an unfinished project for nearly 4 years. I made the patchwork design (with one for each of the girls) just after my youngest was born, but have put off quilting it until now because I had never done it and was terrified of messing it up. Turns out I was right to be wary as whilst I kept the quilting to simple large squares I found it pretty tricky to fit through a small machine and it ended up a little wobbly. My first attempt puckered horribly on the underside but using washable spray fabric glue really helped.

cut paper watercycle

Next to my favourite part of adding pictures/art to the walls...

This illustration had popped up on my Pinterest feed in way of inspiration for a picture for the room. Unfortunately I can't credit the illustrator, because while I followed the link provided I couldn't find the image or any details about it. I loved the clouds/weather theme and the circular design so decided it might be nice to make something informative in a similar style. A water cycle design seemed perfect. I tried hard to keep it true to the simplified facts but took some creative freedoms (the river for instance) to make an effective visual design.

The picture started life as a quick layout sketch on the back of a letter. I then cut out the shapes of various elements in coloured card (I sketched them out in pencil in mirror image on the reverse of the card so no pencil lines can be seen on the front). I then played around with the composition discarding some elements and making others until I was happy with the design. The final step was to stick down each element using double sided sticky tape and small pieces of foamboard to create the multi-layered floating effect. It is framed in an Ikea RIBBA frame. 

Woven wall hanging

My older daughter was keen to make something for her little sister's room too and as I had given her a small weaving loom set for her birthday I suggested a wall hanging. The loom was second-hand partly because I'm a firm believer in second-hand particularly when it comes to toys etc. but also because whilst the loom is quite small it allows you to wind up the weaving as you go along and so make longer pieces. As this was her first go we started small and I helped her thread the loom but she managed most of the weaving by herself with scraps from my yarn bag. We mounted it on a twig and I helped her weave in the ends and make tassels for the bottom.

My daughter now loves her new room (but she still loves sneaking in with her sister more!)

8 Comments